Best Mexican Pozole Soup Recipe; How To Cook Hominy, Onion, Tomato and Pork Soup
Want the perfect pozole soup recipe to feed a whole family which costs $10 or less for the meal? This pozole soup recipe is made with Chef Carlos Capistran from the Lol-Ha Restaurant. Below is a video we made showing how to cook up this delicious soup. We made this regional soup while on the beach in Akumal, Mexico while watching vacationers walk by with margaritas in their hands. Love it!
This inexpensive, yet rich-tasting dish is a healthy example of Mexican home cooking – something mothers have prepared for their families for generations. If you use your own homegrown vegetables in the dish it is far less than $10 per meal to cook. Of all the dishes I prepared with Chef Capistran, this is my all-time favorite – it is filled with home-cooked love and is topped with cilantro, radish, onion, chips, and more (see in the above photo) – what a fresh summer vegetable delight!
Healthy Pozole Soup Topping
HOW TO MAKE A DELICIOUS and HEALTHY POZOLE SOUP RECIPE
- Pork tenderloin,
- White onion, one sliced thin
- Tomato, one, sliced thin
- Garlic, whole, 2 oz.
- White pozole (hominy), one can – drained (optional if you do not eat corn)
- Guajillo dried pepper, one or two
- Cilantro, handful, torn
- Oregano, 1 Tablespoon
- Cloves, 3
- Water, one gallon
- Oil, 2 oz.
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Tortilla strips (optional)
- Cabbage, chopped
- Radishes, chopped
- Cilantro, chopped
- Red onions, diced
- Lime juice
- Tabasco sauce
- Heat oil in a very hot sauté pan (or large pot), sear the pork.
- Add onions, tomatoes, cilantro, oregano, cloves,and dried peppers, cooking for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook for 2 minutes.
- Transfer everything into a large pot.
- Add water and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes until the pork is cooked completely.
- Remove the pork, set aside to rest.
- Transfer everything else into a blender or food processor, except the cloves, and puree.
- Place puree mixture back in pot and continue to heat.
- Shred the pork and set aside.
- Add the white pozole (hominy) to the liquid mixture, cook until heated through.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
To serve –
Place a portion of shredded pork in a bowl, pour the hot pureed soup over the top, then serve the toppings on the side so the guests can add the toppings themselves to the soup.
*Note – Because the FTC requires it, I am noting that the Mayan Riviera Tourism, Hotel Akumal Caribe, Villa Akumal, and Akumal Guide Mexicarte sponsored this pazole soup recipe adventure. I was not told what to document or how to document the experience – anything expressed in posts related to the activities is my own opinion expressed from my own experience.
WHOA! This is a personal favorite dish! And not all recipes are created equal. I cannot wait to try this when the weather cools a bit. Yet another reason to look forward to autumn!
Thank you very much Gerrie. This one is DELICIOUS! Glad you like!