Cucumber and Onion Salad Recipe from Dee Nash
Dee Nash, author of The 20-30 Something Garden Guide, runs a garden blog site called Red Dirt Ramblings which I absolutely adore. She posts tons of great ideas on gardening and culinary on her property in Oklahoma. All that red dirt adventure makes for great reading. When I mentioned to Dee that I have been craving some homemade magical recipes she sent a favorite cucumber salad recipe for me to share with you.
Dee’s website is filled with family stories and I love that she sent me the recipe of her Grandma Nita’s astoundingly delicious cucumber salad. Her blog post is called Cucumbers and Onions and Grandma Nita’s Fried Squash. The recipe is easy to make and easier to eat – a perfect solution for all our summer time cravings.
Best yet, this homemade cucumber salad recipe is vegan, healthy, and filled with delicious seasonal flavor. Check out the super easy recipe below.
- 3 just plucked from the garden cukes
- 1 or 2 vidalia or other sweet onions
- One cup of seasoned rice vinegar (I use Nakano)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 t. pepper
- 1/2 t. salt (if desired)
- Wash and dry cucumbers
- Slice cucumbers into 1/4 inch slices
- Slice onions into 1/4 inch slices
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on top
- Add vinegar and water (if you need a little more to cover the cucumbers – add some)
- Stir, cover and place in refrigerator
I love Dee’s site too Shawna and this recipe reminds me of childhood days picking cukes and making this very salad.
Absolutely. We all love that Dee. 🙂
Dee rocks! I had the opportunity to interview her on my show and I have no doubt that this recipe will be awesome! Best part I am growing both main ingredients.
This sounds lovely. Going to give this a go. thanks for sharing this recipe.