Healthy Mexican Breakfast
The regional Mexican cuisine culinary series continues with Chef Carlos Capistrans’ amazing version of Huevos Motulenos from the Lol-Ha Restaurant. Watch the video below to see how we make this delicious and satisfying breakfast together in Akumal, Mexico. It features peas as a topper.
Enjoy this dish – it costs under $10 to prepare for a family of four and I plan to prepare it when the peas are plucked fresh from the garden in the spring.
HOW TO MAKE CHEF CARLOS’ VERSION OF HUEVOS MOTULEÑOS (Healthy Mexican Breakfast)
- Refried beans – 3 oz
- One fried corn tortilla (optional – you could easily skip this and put tomato slices instead to make it healthier)
- Two eggs cooked to preference
- Ranchero sauce – 3 oz
- Diced ham – 1 oz
- Shredded mozzarella or queso fresco cheese (optional)
- Peas – 1 oz
- Place the refried beans on the plate and top with the fried tortilla.
- Cook the eggs to preference, place on top of the tortilla (or tomato slice).
- Add ranchero sauce.
- Top with ham, cheese, and peas. (Dairy optional)
*Note – Because the FTC requires it, I am noting that the Mayan Riviera Tourism, Hotel Akumal Caribe, Villa Akumal, and Akumal Guide Mexicarte sponsored the trip back in 2011. I was not told what to document or how to document the experience, we were simply asked to attend and film – anything expressed in posts related to the activities is my own opinion expressed from my own personal experience.