French onion soup can be vegan? Whaaatttt? It is challenging to stay on a vegan diet and save money.
Below is a FLASHBACK BLOG POST for you. It demonstrates a French onion soup vegan recipe. The Recipe is so good you will not be able to tell the difference from the real thing. It’s a great way to stretch out some of those ingredients. If you cannot find these exact ingredients right now, substitute what you can.
I love you. I wish the best for you. Be well.
My goal — to make lactose, gluten-free, and vegan recipe French onion soup good enough that my husbands poker-playing buddies would not be able to tell the difference from traditional French onion soup. How to do this? Easy, just fix the vegan soup – don’t tell them a thing – and put it in front of them to gauge their reactions to the recipe. And guess what? THEY LOVED IT! This soup recipe is better than most traditional recipes. It is easy to make. The bonus is that it is totally vegan, lactose, and gluten-free on top of all that deliciousness!
Massel sent out review samples of beef-style, chicken-style, and vegetable bouillon as well as concentrated liquid stock broth. All are vegan, gluten-free, lactose-free, and cholesterol-free broth products. They are easy to use and add great flavor to a vegan recipe without having to add fatty oils. I found the products simple to use.
HOW TO MAKE FRENCH ONION SOUP RECIPE — DAIRY-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, VEGAN
- 4 to 6 large onions, sliced thin
- 8 cups (2 quarts) of beef-style broth made from Massel boullion cubes or concentrated liquid stock
- 1 cup sweet marsala wine
- fresh sage leaves (preferably a branch of sage)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Gluten-free bread, toasted
- Daiya Mozzarella style shreds or Daiya Swiss style slices
- Place onions in a frying pan. Sauté until the onions brown slightly.
- Deglaze the pan with the sweet marsala wine.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add beef-style broth and heat through.
- Place sage branch in crockpot. Pour onion mixture over the sage.
- Turn crockpot on low for 6 to 8 hours, remove sage half-way through cooking.
- Serve in individual bowls. Place soup in bowl, top with one toast, and a layer of daiya cheese.
- Bake bowls in oven. Once daiya cheese melts it is done.
This French onion soup is incredibly DELICIOUS.
By using Massel’s broth, gluten-free bread, and Daiya cheese I prepared a vegan recipe that meets many dietary challenges, and yet I could not tell the difference between this soup and one prepared in the traditional way. Neither could the poker boys. Try it yourself. Let me know if you love it.
Making vegan soup is all about the ingredients. The secret is to utilize vegan beef-flavored broth and vegan cheese substitutes.
French onion soup originated in the 18th century in France. It is made from onions that have been caramelized, which gives it a unique flavor.
1. Deeply caramelized onions.
2. Add sherry or white wine to your recipe. Use real wine as “cooking wine” can taste like vinegar.
3. Serve fresh from the oven.