Help A School With Burpee Home Gardens ‘I Can Grow’ 2012 Youth Garden Program and Contest
This June I spent time working with inner city kids building gardens. It was amazing to see the kids learning how good it is for them to touch the soil and experience a garden. Burpee Home Gardens® Supports many youth gardens and is turning its focus to the 2012 season when they will award several schools with money, plants, a camera, and organic fertilizer for a youth garden at the school.
Two grand-prize school winners will be awarded the prizes below with a spring garden installation in 2012 and an amazing kick-off gardening event.
- Up to 500 vegetable and herb plants* including the BOOST collection
- $2,500 for program supplies
- On-site assistance for initial garden layout and installation
- Installation-day event and publicity coordination
- Five gallons of Daniels® Plant Food (a sustainable fertilizer)
- Flip® video camera to document garden progress
* Quantity of plants is dependent upon size of garden and need
In addition, three runners up will receive 500 vegetable and herb plants, including the Burpee BOOST collection; five gallons of Daniels Plant Food; and a Flip video camera.
CONTEST DEADLINE IS DECEMBER 23, 2011 –
Burpee is encouraging schools and youth educators, community centers or organizations, and youth groups to apply. To enter a school you know into the contest, please follow this link to the contest page and follow the instructions on completing the application – http://www.burpeehomegardens.com/ICanGrow/_YouthGardenAward.aspx.
Teaching kids where their food REALLY comes from = PRICELESS!! Please enter a school to win so a child might get the chance to experience a garden.