Why Do I Want a Water Feature in my Garden?
There are health benefits of water features? This is the question I first asked over 10 years ago when I had a rainwater cistern with a fountain from Aquascape Inc. installed in my front lawn vegetable garden in Illinois. I had no idea I’d spend so many years enjoying the fountain nor all the mental health benefits that would come with the experience. It was truly a joy to have a pondless water feature and was the big step to using the garden as a place to find better mental health.
Now that I have moved to Arizona, I have been shocked at the positive emotional benefits I have received from spending more time outdoors in the sunshine. Studies show that water features are beneficial. I would like to have multiple fountains and water features installed on my property because of the success I had in the past with that rainwater cistern fountain. There are so many birds here and lots of wildlife as well that benefit from extra water. I know that the marriage of water and sunshine in my garden will truly be uplifting to me and the environment. Read on to learn more about the health benefits of water features.
Products I Use in My Garden
- ✴✴ Modern Art Sculpture Patio Fountain ✴✴ This is my latest addition to the Art Gallery Wellness Garden and I AM IN LOVE – such a cool ultra-modern addition. Clickety-click through and check it out at my online store.
- Birdies Raised Beds – Coated galvanized steel with a powder-coated food-safe, non-toxic paint for a beautiful, long-lasting result. Discount 5% off any garden bed product with the “SHAWNA5” Discount Code!
- Garden Grid™Watering System – Easy pre-assembled system, just drop in and connect to irrigation lines. Get $10 off any Garden Grid™ Watering Systems order of $100+ with the “SHAWNA10” Code!
- Gro-Well Raised Bed Soil and Nature’s Way Cactus & Patio Mix Soil – Ask for this soil at your local garden center.
- Midtown Swilt Umbrellas – The Swilt 8 foot Terylast terracotta automatic tilt umbrellas with strong fiberglass ribs to resist wind.
- Fish in the Garden Sculptures – Ceramic garden fish with special metal fish stands which help the fish float above your garden. An easy 5% off any garden bed product with the “SHAWNA5” Discount Code!
- All Weather Outdoor Art Canvas – These art canvases are UV Protected, waterproof, and resistant to fading
What Are the Health Benefits of Water Features in the Garden
Water features are a popular addition to many gardens, and for good reason. They can add beauty, interest, and sound to your outdoor space. I have installed a new water fountain near my Art Gallery Garden. Did you know that water features can also have a number of health benefits? Combine art and water and you have a BIG WIN in your garden.
Here are just a few of the ways that water features can improve your health
1. Reduce stress and anxiety with a water feature
The sound of running water is known to be very relaxing. Health benefits of water features first focus on lowering blood pressure, heart rate, and stress levels. Studies have shown that even just a few minutes of exposure to the sound of running water can have a significant impact on stress levels.
2. Water fountains can improve sleep quality
The sound of running water can also help to improve sleep quality. This is because it can help to create a more relaxing environment and block out other noises that might disrupt your sleep.
3. Boost your mood
Health benefits of water features include mood change. The sight and sound of water can also have a positive impact on mood. Studies have shown that exposure to water can increase feelings of happiness, relaxation, and well-being.
4. Improve air quality
Water features can also help to improve air quality by releasing negative ions into the air. Negative ions have been shown to have a number of health benefits, including reducing stress, improving mood, and boosting the immune system. Water features can also increase humidity in a dry area.
5. Attract wildlife with a water feature
While there are many health benefits of water feature for humans, they can also attract wildlife to your garden. Wildlife can add to the beauty and interest of your space. Birds, frogs, and other animals are often drawn to water, and they can provide a welcome distraction from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
If you’re looking for a way to improve your health and well-being YEAR ROUND, then adding a water feature to your garden is a great option. Water features are a beautiful and relaxing addition to any outdoor space, and they can provide a number of health benefits.
Here are some tips for choosing and installing a water feature
- Choose a water feature that is the right size for your space. You don’t want a feature that is too small or too large for your garden.
- Consider the type of water feature you want. There are many different types of water features available, including fountains, ponds, and waterfalls.
- Choose a water feature that is made from durable materials. You want a feature that will last for years to come. Including surviving through winter or other weather hardships.
- Install your water feature properly. Follow the instructions that come with your water feature to ensure that it is installed properly.
How I Installed a Modern Art Sculpture Patio Fountain in my Own Garden
There are so many health benefits of water features that I really want to put several interesting features on my property. To get started, I focused on the theme of my Art Gallery Side Yard Wellness garden — ART! Both viewing and creating art has been proven to improve mental health. It seems a very healthful approach to extend that side yard and combine art and water in the garden. It creates a positive mental health safe haven.
The Artist Behind the Art Sculpture Fountain in My Garden
Randy Bolander is a prestigious American Minimalist Sculptor who designs unique large sculptures and outdoor fountain structures. His sculptures are seen all over the nation in breathtaking minimalist exhibits. I dreamed of owning one of his sculpture fountains. As luck would have it, Mr. Bolander began making a mid-sized version recreating his very large X Fountain Series. The pricing on the fountain sculpture is very similar to other fountains on the market. This made it within reach to own one of his gorgeous minimalist pieces that plays double-duty; both art and fountain in my garden. I fell in love with the bold yellow, red, and orange colors of the sculptures (see above and below – my garden at dusk).
How to Assemble a Modern Art Sculpture Fountain
The health benefits of water features would come alive in my own garden with this creative minimalist sculpture. I ordered an orange X3 sculpture from Mr. Bolander. One of the cool things about the fountain is that it is powder-coated which makes it rust resistant.
Assembling the fountain was BEYOND EASY. The unit came with the fountain sculpture, water basin, submersible pump, valve and pipe assembly, fountain stand, and nuts and screws.
- Remove from box and place upside down
- Attach base with a screwdriver
- Place submersible pump and threaded pipe
- Flip over and place in basin, then fill with water
- Plug in and fountain works
As an extra, I have attached a timer to the pump, so it turns off at night. Some experts say not to do this, but I wanted the fountain to dry off at night so we have less build up of green and clear water. It has been working like a charm – my husband and I love it!
Where You Can Get a Randy Bolander Minimalist Art Fountain Sculpture
I love this artistic sculpture fountain SO MUCH that I’ve decided to put it in my online store. It is comparably priced to other fountains of its size, but what makes it truly special is that it is created by Randy Bolander and even has his signature stamped in the piece (right).
Want an art sculpture like this X Fountain Series in your garden? It comes in several colors. You can order red, yellow, or orange from my store. Be sure to indicate which color you want when you place the order.
Whether you want an art-inspired fountain or any type of water feature, you can make it a possibility in your garden. With a little planning, you can add a water feature to your garden that will provide you with years of enjoyment and health benefits.